Friday 4 October 2013

My Change Addiction


 Addiction is defined as “the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.”   (www.dictionary.com)

If addiction is the state of being “enslaved to a habit or practice until cessation causes severe trauma;” apparently what I suffer from seems to be much more serious than a simple addiction.  Perhaps ‘obsession’ or ‘fixation’ may be a better description? 

Change is my passion.  A way of thinking and doing that regularly highlights my inability to mindlessly follow the crowd and finds me regularly going left when everyone else is going right.  I often stand alone in a crowd and as the opposition in the boardroom.  It has left me with a mind that is always looking for the ‘why’ and on the odd occasion when others are actively seeking why; mine is considering ‘why not’?

It is a mind that makes sure I stand at the edge of a crowd, lest the activities of the crowd carry me away with it.  A mind that has led to resignations from numerous jobs (I think that is part of the definition of addiction, known as the 'inability to keep a job') as I simply will not blindly do as told.  It’s a mind that has allowed me to sleep at night with a clear conscience but has interfered to a large extent on the lucrative potential of my pocket.  Sadly so.  It is a mind that has had me spit at and thrown out of places and a mind that tunes into the potential of so many things.  A mind that seems to be a curse and a blessing and will consider and defend a point of view that you may not always believe in.  You don’t have to.  It is not a requirement or even desirable for that matter.  Following should be optional.  A choice.  An act of deliberate participation.  

And so I am simply asking you to intellectually engage.  In a world that tells us what we want to hear in an effort to get us to depart with our income; I think as people we have become increasingly non-objective.  We buy into how society does things and seldom ask, “Is it working”?                 

Most human beings go through the ‘why’ stage while still toddlers and seem content to move on and consider other information.  I, on the other hand, am starting to wonder if perhaps my obsession might be an indication of stagnated development.   In any case, I’m the child trapped permanently in the ‘why’ stage.     

And so my love of change and obsession with why, have led me to start engaging other people’s minds (probably much to my daughter’s relief.  She is hoping that it will be an activity that will result in fewer discussions for her on why.)  And so quite frankly, if I am not sleeping, why should you? 

So the topics will vary from relationships, renovations, dreams, social development, politics, sociology, human rights etc., the theme will remain the same as most things that I am passionate about centre around change. 

That being said, there is one thing I have decided not to change; my age.  And so I will be turning 29 yet again next year...   (I have a few years experience being 29 already). 

1 comment:

  1. I am believer in change for the better as well as continuous improvement. Making a positive difference is a key driver for me and wish that most could strive for that too.

    I am interested in seeing more of your posts and will keep an eye on your blog.

    I probably might join in and also stay 29 for some time. Lol

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to add some insight of your own!